Sep 3, 2014

Ariana Grande ~ My Everything ~ Review


HEY EVERYONE!  Banana here!  Today I'm gonna be reviewing Ariana Grande's new album "My Everything"!
1. Intro
2. Problem (feat. Iggy Azalea)
3. One Last Time
4. Why Try
5. Break Free (feat. Zedd)
6. Best Mistake (feat. Big Sean)
7. Be My Baby (feat. Cashmere Cat)
8. Break Your Heart Right Back (feat. Childish Gambino)
9. Love Me Harder
10. Just a Little Bit of Your Heart
11. Hands On Me (feat. A$AP Ferg)
12. My Everything
13. Bang Bang*
14. Only 1*
15. You Don't Know Me*
16. Cadillac Song**
17. Too Close**
*Featured on the Deluxe Album
**Featured on the Target Exclusive Deluxe Album
 

   iTunes      Google Play      Target      Amazon  


It's so weird thinking that only a year ago we had Yours Truly and now we have My Everything!  Once again, Ariana Grande has proven herself as an amazing artist, singer, and songwriter.  This album has shown how much she has grown up in the past year.  It's cool to see how much, not only herself, but her music have become more mature between debut album Yours Truly and now.

Like I always say... The best albums an artist can put out are the ones that tell a great, full story.  This is exactly what Ariana has done! My interpretation of this album would probably be more like a "roller coaster" relationship, which makes sense because her last album was more like finding someone all the way into the beginning stages of a relationship. Every few songs we've seen the whole progression of that kind of relationship: "It's all good and fun, then we're starting to fight, then we've broken up, then I realize that you may not be so bad and that we may be meant for each other".  This album goes through that cycle about three times, and the resolution is where she realizes that he's "My Everything". If you still don't understand what I mean, think about Ross and Rachel's relationship on Friends

From this point on, my reviews will start with a feature of my top five favorite songs I liked when I heard them for the first time... So here it is! 
My 1st Top 5

Problem (feat. Iggy Azalea) 

Break Free (feat. Zedd) 

Break Your Heart Right Back 

Just a Little Bit of Your Heart 

Bang Bang 


*Bonus: Love Me Harder*

Now, On to the review...
I used to never like intro songs on albums, in the past year I've started to come to my senses.  I figure that intros are more like a partial song that still has an overall thought, which starts to set the tone and the mood for the album's story.  I start to wonder what would've happened if they never released it.  We wouldn't have ever got to hear this awesome one-minute tune!  

We start off our story with "Problem" which was also the first single off this album.  I've loved this song since the first time I heard it.  I listened to it around 325 times in the first week it was released.  It's such a catchy tune and it was most definitely MY song of the summer!  (I had that decided way before summer started by the way.)  It's always fun to watch her perform this song because, even though she always sounds perfect, she changes it up about every time you see it.  Plus there's always the mystery of whether or not Iggy Azalea's gonna be there to do her awesome rap! I've got 99 problems, but this song ain't one!  ;)

"Break Free" will always be close to my heart because it will remind me of the time I was on vacation and watched "Total Ariana Live" and saw her premiere this song.  Then I remember listening to it the next day in the car on my way back home because the hurricane ruined my vacation.  This was the best part of that day, though!

When "Best Mistake" first came out, I took a listen online and I didn't really like it.  I couldn't put my finger on it, but I only liked the chorus and there obviously wasn't enough of that to make me like it.  It almost didn't help to see how much people liked it on twitter.  Once I listened to it on the album though, something changed because it quickly became one of my favorites.  I guess it must have been one of those "right place, right time" deals.  I've liked it ever since.  This is a good example of how sometimes you need to listen to a song a few times before you really decide whether or not you like it.

"Break Your Heart Right Back" is a great way to break up the album as well as the overall story.  I always like songs that are like a perfect mix of different genres.  This song goes from a more hip hop vibe in the verses to a more pop vibe in the chorus.  The transition between the two flow together flawlessly.  This song is definitely tied for my favorite!

Songs like "Love Me Harder" show how much more mature this album is compared to Yours Truly not only in content, but also in the style of writing. It was one of four songs MTV previewed online about a week before My Everything came out.  This song sounded so different from everything else I had heard at that point that I was ready to see what the rest of the album was going to sound like!

"Just a Little Bit of Your Heart" was an amazing song co-written by Harry Styles from One Direction!  Needless to say putting these two together will give you one of the best songs on the album.  I love everything about it: The Lyrics, The Vocals, and The Piano in the Background!  If there isn't at least piano music for this song that is published and mass produced... I will break down and cry.

If this album were a movie, "Bang Bang" would be a great final musical number!  I love this song so much!  Just like we said in our Songs of Summer post last week... it's like a revamped version of "Lady Marmalade". This was probably my favorite performance from the VMA's as well because it took the three of them all separately and then put them together.  It was one of the best ways to open the VMA's ever!  If you wanna watch it click here.

I also think that, if this were a movie, the bonus songs would be more like songs that would play in the credits.  They are just as good, and definitely worth the money.  If you're at Target and feel like buying this album, just go ahead and grab the Target Exclusive because those two additional songs are good as well.

To sum it all up... 
I love this album!  It's just as good, if not better than Yours Truly and I can't wait to see what Ariana has in store for us on her next album!  One of the best things that sets her apart from everybody else (including Moriah Carey), is that she has her own style.  She also has some of the best collaborations on her albums... You never know who is gonna be on her next album, with the exception of Big Sean, because they always do great things together.





I give My Everything about 4.5-5 Palmtrees! I'll also throw in some awesome harmonies and collaborations of epic proportions!
~Banana


No comments:

Post a Comment